Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My response to Molli P

Molli P's post on cigarette smoking and airport security

While I agree that the dangers of cigarette smoking are very real, I do now see how this compares to airport security. Over the past several years, there has been a lot done to try to help reduce exposure to second hand smoke. There are very few establishments where smoking is permitted. Many employers have gone to completely smoke free campuses. My employer even charges an extra monthly surcharge on health insurance if you or your dependents smoke. Outside of completely banning cigarettes, which, as you stated, is not likely to happen anytime in the foreseeable future, I do not see much more that can be done. However, the threat to air travel is something we can try to control. After having watched one of the planes hit the twin towers on 9/11, I believe everything being done and all of the money being spent in airports now is justified. I don't believe anyone would have had a problem with the security in place in the days immediately following 9/11. Unfortunately, as that day becomes a more distant memory people become more intolerant of these measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment